
Changi prison Singapore was completed just in time to house Royal Air Force prisoners when the Japanese captured the city in 1942.
When Singapore was retaken in 1945 the following words were found scratched on the wall of a cell. The author was not identified and is assumed to have been executed.
If I must face the firing squad
Though harm I never did
Teach me to love them still my God
As I by thee am bid.
If I must die a lowly spy
No spy was I no never
Stay in my heart o God of mine
And love them more than ever.
Forgive them all the tortures done
My thirst and my starvation
For who has suffered more than thee
Who died for our salvation.
The above appeared I the Cape Times, Cape Town, in 1945, and I never saw any further reference to it.
If I must face the firing squad
Though harm I never did
Teach me to love them still my God
As I by thee am bid.
If I must die a lowly spy
No spy was I no never
Stay in my heart o God of mine
And love them more than ever.
Forgive them all the tortures done
My thirst and my starvation
For who has suffered more than thee
Who died for our salvation.
The above appeared I the Cape Times, Cape Town, in 1945, and I never saw any further reference to it.
Does anbody know anything about the above. It seems sad that it should have disappeared without knowing who the author was.
Title is LAST POST
ReplyDeleteAuthor is Ptc I.M. Nick
Date is December, 1942
A researcher in England about five years ago found the author to be Australian.
For more, Google: Sonnet Talk Forum
Look for entry: LAST POST