Vincent Lovegrove
I was born in Cape Town on 22nd July 1929 and educated at St Georges Grammar School.
When the Nationalists came to power I joined the British South Africa Police in Rhodesia when you visited that country to see the Zimbabwe Ruins. Now you visit Zimbabwe to see the Rhodesian Ruins.
On 28th November 1953 I married Marjorie Patricia Lord, a 19 year old Rhodesian. We had six sons. One is now in California, USA, one in Victoria, Vancouver Island, one in Pietermaritzburg, one in Johannesburg, one in Pretoria, and the youngest has recently moved to Barrydale in the Cape, having spent the previous 27 years in Angola and Mozambique.
I resigned from the Police on 30th November 1962 with rank of Inspector because I saw the collapse coming and returned to Cape Town where I spent most of my working life in the Life Insurance industry.
My wife walked out In April 1976 and right up until her death on Christmas morning 2006 was never able to tell me why.
I divorced her on 20th December 1978 and never remarried. From 21st December 1978 until 30th July 2009 I lived with Hazel Anne Petrig who was 23 at the outset. Again I was dumped and am still waiting to hear the reason.
I am now living with my fourth son, Neil, some 25 kilometers from the centre of Pretoria. He owns 11 hectares with the house built on the lower slopes of the Magaliesburg Mountain range. He owns an industrial fencing business involving predominantly perimeter fencing of the mines
I now occupy myself with gardening and will be breeding poultry which has always been an interest of mine but not possible in the City. I have never in my life had this much time to myself.